RL-01 The Legendary Power

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RL-01 The Legendary Power

Medievon: Ranger Lords
    Episode One - The Legendary Power | May 15th, 2006
    By Darrel James Vanwinkle (Aragh the Wolf)
    In an alternate dimension, a mystical planetoid called Spellgate collided with the Earth, impacting dead center on Zordon's command center, and causing a vast wave of cataclysmic changes across the planet. Monsters, wizards, and bizarre magics developed over night, turning most of the Earth's citizens either into victims or into slaves. As time passed, in the year 1993, a young man named Dardarus Jarrett "DJ" Van Whitelaw is traveling through a haunted forest which was once the site of the command center, and as monsters close in on him, a power reaches out to him, changing him into a force that the world needs... a hero. Though not just any hero, but a Power Ranger.

Coming up next on the premiere episode of Ranger Lords!
    "Welcome to the Year of our Lord, 1993."

*planetoid crashes into Zordon's command center and explodes*

Okay kids, listen to an old codger,
    Hiding from the monsters, like a true dodger,
    But let me tell you all,
    Of the few who got the call,
    And they lifted aloft their swords,
    And became the Ranger Lords!

Go! Go! Outlaws!
    Go! Go! Ranger Lords!
    Go! Go! Outlaws!
    Sock it to me! Ranger Lords!

Found the coin, lying there,
    Running from monsters, what a scare,
    Backed up against a wall,
    Held the coin and gave the call,
    Power of legends at a word,
    Transformed, a Ranger Lord!

Go! Go! Outlaws!
    Go! Go! Ranger Lords!
    Go! Go! Outlaws!

Coastal kingdoms, go the three,
    Seeking allies, what a spree,
    Dragons, bulls, wolves galore,
    Fighting evil, what a chore,
    Join the battle, climb on board,
    You can be a Ranger Lord!

Go! Go! Outlaws!
    Go! Go! Ranger Lords!
    Go! Go! Outlaws!

Starring:
    Dardarus Jarrett "DJ" Van Whitelaw, Red Warhorse Ranger Lord

Also Starring:
    Shuriken, Flame Ninja (wolfwere)

Allies:
    Hank, owner of the Haunter Forest Trading Outpost

Villains:
    Minotaur Commander Raunothyme
    Lizard Man Commander Drizzala
    Jade, horned dragon lord of the Sea of Poisonous Reeds
    Spectra, horned dragon lord of the Cemetery Mists of Ruin
    Spellgate, Alien Mystic of the Haunted Forest
    Special Note on Spellgate: When this enemy appears, kiss your rump goodbye. He cannot be defeated and nothing you do has any affect on him.
    Lizard Men, minions of Jade
    Minotaurs, minions of Spectra
    Wolfweres, roving bandit lords

Chapter One - Ride the Mist Trail

"Ride the mist trail, they said. Less traffic, they said. No monsters, they said."

The young man wearing a hooded cloak ran on foot through the forest with a herd of angry gorgon bulls hot on his trail! "Damned things petrified my horse, but they aren't getting me."

He leaped fallen trees and broken boulders as he ran, not bothering to look behind him. "Dad always warned me that if you turned to see what was actually following you, you'd end up tripping on something."

He soon found himself running along the top edge of a dark ravine, when he lost his footing and fell into the shadow opening itself. The somewhat hard landing at the bottom could have been a lot worse, had he not landed on what felt like a couch. But he didn't have time to ponder his fortune with the gorgons trying to locate him. He ran deeper into a tunnel opening in one wall.

It was dark in that tunnel and he surely wasn't expecting the sudden stop at the end of the tunnel. But when he collided with that back wall, he crashed through it into a chamber of glowing crystals of power. "Where in the name of Artemis have I ended up this time?" He began to slowly walk around the crystal chamber, watching where he stepped. He about freaked out when he saw the lifeless automaton robot crumpled next to an opening in one wall, with it's rusted arm pointing into the chamber. "Poor guy. I'll bet he was once a real piece of work. I wonder what he's pointing at?" And the young man slowly entered the next chamber.

Within the clean chamber on a pedestal in the center of the chamber, lay a single glowing gold coin. In fact, it was the only thing in the entire chamber. "Oh wow. I've never seen a real gold coin before. This must've been a museum or something in the old days." He reached out and picked up the coin. As he examined the coin, he noticed that on it's face was the picture of a fantastic draft horse stallion, dressed in armor from head to hooves. He then flipped the coin over and noticed words on the back of the coin. The first word was undecipherable, but the rest was very clear to read.

"...something... ranger. Your... arrival... was foretold. Always remember three things: always use your powers for good and never for evil or selfish ends. Never reveal your identity to others save for your own kind, and most importantly, always be on your guard against the forces of evil."

There was a word below the message, but before he could read it, the wall suddenly exploded inwards, as one of the gorgon bulls burst into the chamber, snorting loudly at him!

"Aw crap!" And back the way he came did the boy run!

And the gorgon bull gave chase!

The crystals lying on the floor in the other chamber, fortunately, slowed the progress of the monster, giving the boy a chance to flee back down the tunnel he had entered from. But his run was soon stopped short when he realized that there was only the way he came in to get out. "Oh no! Now what do I do?"

End of Chapter One.
    "Brave, bold, and with a nose that's true..."

~~James "Aragh Darktalon" Ghaleon

Chapter Two - With One Word

Suddenly, a mental voice echoed in the boy's head. "Say my name, ranger. Say my name."

The young man glanced around sharply. "Who's there? Now I'm losing my mind. I'm hearing voices."

"My name, ranger. It's on the gold coin you took. Say my name."

He slowly opened his fist and looked at the back of the coin again. At the bottom of the message was a one-word name. Warhorse.

"Say my name, ranger. The monster will be upon you soon."

The young man could hear the gorgon bull charging down the tunnel he had just come from. He knew it had to be now or never. He held the coin out in front of him and shouted the name.

"Warhorse!"

There came a sudden flash of light and lightning, totally enveloping his body. When the light faded, he was wearing a uniform that was all red, from the helmet down to the mid torso, and white with black racing stripes down both sides of his legs to his white and red boots. He wore gloves that had the same color pattern as his boots, while his helmet had a shiny black visor with a silver mouthpiece. Within his hand there appeared his Legendary Sword of Power. The sword had the hilt pommel of a warhorse's head and was articulately made, perhaps being of the finest quality ever seen. And the eyes of the horse glowed with a red light all their own, which seemed to make the weapon seem alive. "What the heck is all this?"

At that moment, the gorgon bull emerged from the tunnel charging directly at the now red clad young man! Within his head, the young man heard, "Jump!" and reflexively, he leaped. And as he did, he found himself leaping all the way up and out of the dark chasm back into the forest he had been in before! As he landed on a tree branch high over the scene of angry gorgon bulls, he took a moment to look over his new threads.

The uniform was all red, from the helmet down to the mid torso, and white with black racing stripes down both sides of his legs to his white and red boots. He wore gloves that had the same color pattern as his boots, while his helmet had a shiny black visor with a silver mouthpiece. The horse headed sword he still held was articulately made, perhaps being of the finest quality that he had ever seen. And the eyes of the horse glowed with a red light all their own, which seemed to make the weapon seem alive.

At that point, the gorgon bulls began butting the bottom of the tall tree, snapping the young man's attention back to the present and his current situation.

"So you want to play still, do you? I really don't have the time! I need to get back to the road and out of this forest! So, au revoir, chumps!" And he began leaping from tree branch to tree branch, heading back the way he had come, trying to find the misty forest road.

He had soon easily left the gorgon bulls far behind. Evidently, they tracked their prey by scent. And because the young man was no longer leaving a scent trail on the ground, the bulls couldn't follow him. He was glad as he landed on the road that the gorgons were no longer in sight. He grabbed his pack supplies off of his stoned horse and began running down the road.

End of Chapter Two.

Comment

Chapter Three - An Outlaw Now

Soon, the young man walked into a lone trading outpost that was stationed just on the other side of the haunted forest. The few who were present when he walked in all stared at him as if he was from another planet. He walked over to the main counter and set the pack of supplies down in front of the proprietor. "This trip didn't go as I planned, Hank. I lost my best horse to gorgon bulls."

Hank arched an eye at the costumed person in front of him. "DJ?" His mouth fell open as he stepped out from behind the counter to look the boy over more carefully. "Where in the world did you get this outfit?"

The young man, Dardarus Jarrett "DJ" Van Whitelaw, replied, "Yeah, it's me. I got chased into a cavern and crashed through a back wall and found a chamber of glowing crystals. And there was a gold coin and after I took it, I started hearing this weird voice in my head telling me to say its name. The name on the coin. When I said that name, I was suddenly in this armor and had this weapon in my hand. And worse, I can't get the stuff off."

Hank and the other patrons came over to examine DJ up close. "Chamber of glowing crystals... surely it wasn't the location in that old fairy tale we were all told as kids... was it?"

An old man, who everyone knew as Ernest, said, "He has the Legendary Power. None of us will be safe if he stays here. The monsters will surely be coming for him. To kill him."

DJ asked, "Legendary Power? What is that? And why would the monsters be after me to get it?"

Hank then grabbed DJ and forcibly ushered him into the cellar beneath the trading outpost.

DJ exclaimed, "What is going on, Hank? You're treating me like a criminal now!"

Hank replied sternly, "In the eyes of the monster lords... you are a criminal now. You have the Legendary Power. And to get it, the monster lords will hunt you down and kill you. You can't even return home to Angel Grove now. If you go there, the monsters will follow you and kill everyone there to find you."

DJ exclaimed, "Then what am I supposed to do? I didn't ask for this power!"

Hank said, "I have heard that another Legendary Power had been found near here. A forested port village called Briarwood. If you go there, perhaps you can find the other warrior and get him to help you in your time of need. But chances are... the monsters are after him, too."

DJ hummed. "I can't travel around looking like this. I can't get this armor off. How am I going to eat or use the toilet?"

Hank hummed. "There must be a way, DJ. The power chose you as its protector. But even in legend, there must be a way to power down. You will just have to find it."

DJ said, "I'll wear a full body cloak until I find out. And I'll need a new horse."

End of Chapter Three.

Comment

Chapter Four - Pow-wow with a Coin

DJ rode along the forest trail. He hated having to wear a full body cloak over the top of the ungodly red armor. He really wanted to be rid of the stuff as soon as possible. Briarwood wasn't much of a destination, if his memory served him correctly. It used to be the capital of magic. But currently, it was little more than a nearly destroyed stronghold of monsters and men.

"This is the worst day I can ever remember. And worse, I am feeling a slight urge to go to the outhouse. I sure hope I find out how to 'Power Down' sooner or-" and instantly, he was back in his normal garb though still wearing the full body cloak! "What the? Where did the armor go? How did that happen?"

DJ wasted no time in using the bathroom in the bushes and then cleaned himself with available materials, before returning to his borrowed horse. Then he pulled out some of his food and drink and sated his hunger and thirst.

"First, I powered up into a red suit of weird armor and helm, and then I powered down to my usual self. I still don't know how I powered down, unless..." He stopped talking as he thought about it to himself. "Wait a minute. That coin with the name on it. When I said that name... I ended up in the armor. But just moments ago, the armor went away as I said... Power Down. I better test this theory before I decide that is what happened. Here goes... Time to summon the Legendary Power!"

DJ shouted the name of his Legendary Power! "Warhorse!" There came a sudden flash of light and lightning, totally enveloping his body. When the light faded, he was wearing a uniform that was all red, from the helmet down to the mid torso, and white with black racing stripes down both sides of his legs to his white and red boots. He wore gloves that had the same color pattern as his boots, while his helmet had a shiny black visor with a silver mouthpiece. Within his hand there appeared his Legendary Sword of Power. The sword had the hilt pommel of a warhorse's head and was articulately made, perhaps being of the finest quality ever seen. And the eyes of the horse glowed with a red light all their own, which seemed to make the weapon seem alive. Then, DJ shouted, "Red Ranger Lord!" The image of a red warhorse appeared briefly in the background behind him.

DJ smiled. "That is such a rush! Coin? Can you hear me? I need to talk to you!"

Mentally, DJ heard that familiar voice he had heard before in the Haunted Forest. Well done, Red Ranger Lord. And please, speak with your mind when talking to me. Just focus your thoughts on forming the words and I will hear you. Now, what is it that you wish to speak of?

DJ mentally focused. It took some effort, but he was soon using the ability. First question... where did you get yourself off to? I can't find you anywhere in my possessions.

The Power Coin replied, I now reside inside of you, Dardarus Jarrett Van Whitelaw. You alone activated me and you alone are now the Red Ranger Lord. My Legendary Power is yours to command.

DJ mentally asked, Just what exactly is a Ranger Lord? I have never heard of them.

The Power Coin replied, They were members of a force of heroes who defended mankind from evil monsters. My power was their leader. And now you possess that power and that makes you the leader of the Ranger Lords.

DJ mentally asked, How many Ranger Lords were there?

The Power Coin replied, There were six of us. The red warhorse, the orange battlewolf, the yellow seafalcon, the white purehart, the blue starhare, and the black waveshark. Together, they defended humanity from evil monsters.

End of Chapter Four.

Comment

Chapter Five - Red Herring

DJ mentally irked at a previous answer. Wait a minute... I'm the leader? What if I don't want to be the leader?

The Power Coin replied, You really don't have much choice now. The only way to remove the legendary power from you is to kill you. And unless you fancy dying as fun, then I think you are better off simply locating the other Legendary Powers. They may need your help.

DJ sighed. And all of the monsters are going to be after me to get this power. Can a monster activate the power?

The Power Coin replied, They would like to think that they could, but no, they cannot. Only a human can activate the primary six Legendary Powers. Monsters who attempt this will receive a nasty shock.

DJ hummed. So it's on to Briarwood, is it? Very well, but I hope you're right about the others.

The Power Coin then said, It will be night soon and I don't think you'll want to be out and about after dark.

DJ then exclaimed, "Power Down!" And he was instantly back to his normal self. "He's right about that. I do NOT want to be out and about after dark. That is when Spellgate prowls around looking for fresh meat." He then mounted up on his horse and began the ride toward Briarwood. He really did not want to encounter Spellgate.

After a good ride, he soon reached the overlook that gave a good view into the Briarwood region. Unfortunately, that overlook also allowed him to see the Minotaurs and Lizardmen troops of the two local dragon kings. And the two factions were in battle with each other in a field just beyond the overlook.

DJ said, "Whoa. Really intense. I never thought I would see monster troops fighting each other. I wonder what they are fighting over."

At that moment, he suddenly felt a heavy gauntlet land on his shoulder. As he slowly turned to look, that is when he mentally cursed himself for sitting in one spot for too long. Sitting on a warhorse, point-blank beside him, was a large Minotaur Commander but he didn't look very threatening.

"They are battling over a treasure dispute," he said with an air of intellect. "They think they have found one of the Legendary Powers and they feel that it is worth fighting over."

DJ gulped, then said, "Have they... found one?"

The Minotaur Commander replied calmly, "I truly do not think so. If the Legendary Power was there, it would have been found ages ago. They fight over a red herring. A clue to the Legendary Power's true location. They are such fools to fight this early without proof of a power being there." He then smiled slowly at DJ. "Where were you en route to, lad?"

DJ tried very hard not to gulp again. Having a Minotaur this close was very unnerving. "I had been at a trading post... and they mentioned the appearance... of a Legendary Power in Briarwood... I just thought... maybe, if it wasn't too much trouble that is... that I might get to see one in my lifetime."

The Minotaur Commander smiled again, which DJ was starting to hate to see. "Perhaps you shall, one day, lad. But until then, I think you should stay in my company. It will be night soon and I have secure quarters."

End of Chapter Five.

Comment

Chapter Six - Night with a Minotaur

Within the secure quarters, which turned out to be the largest room of an inn and tavern that the minotaur army had claimed for the night, DJ sat on one of the two beds nervously watching his host, who was slowly removing his armor in a meticulous manner. While the Minotaur Commander was doing that, a weird humming sound was heard distantly in the night.

At first, DJ thought it sounded like bees or hornets. "What's that sound?" he asked, gazing toward a side wall.

The Minotaur Commander listened for a moment, then he said, "Spellgate. He is searching for travelers at night to devour. Don't worry, we're safe in here."

DJ paled at the mention of Spellgate. He had heard rumors and fairy tales about the entity with no face, but he had never actually heard the entity... until that night. "Is, is that why you brought me with you... to share your secure quarters?"

The Minotaur Commander removed the last of his armor and proceeded to remove his clothing now. "I knew you wouldn't stand a chance out there when night fell. Besides, you rather remind me of an old squire I used to have."

DJ arched an eye. "What happened to him?"

The Minotaur Commander replied, "My lord ate him for trying to steal a gem."

DJ began to undress himself slowly. "What would you do if you found out that someone close to you had one of the Legendary Powers?" He wasn't looking at the commander when he asked this question.

The Minotaur Commander gazed directly into the back of DJ's body. "I would have to arrest them no matter how much I cared about them. The law is the law. Even if you don't agree with what your lord says, you have to uphold the law. All Legendary Powers must be turned over to the dragons. Having one in your possession makes you an outlaw. A criminal against the dragon lords. Lord Spectra would reward me greatly if I brought him a Legendary Power."

DJ then turned and sighed, looking directly at the Minotaur Commander. "I wish you had said something else in reply." He then proceeded to get back into his clothes. "I'll take my chances out there with Spellgate wandering around."

The Minotaur Commander quickly had his sword removed from his scabbard and pointed at DJ. "You really have one, don't you? Why were you hoping I would have answered differently?"

DJ sighed again. "I've never met any minotaurs before and I lov-" he paused. "I like how they look. They turn me on." He was blushing as red as a beet.

The Minotaur Commander slowly put his sword back into its scabbard and tossed the weapon aside on the other bed. "I might be persuaded to not report you. But you will have to sleep with me for that privilege. Knights do that with their squires all the time, both good and bad. Is my silence worth a night in bed with something that you like to look at and are turned on by?" He smiled with a wink, as he motioned toward his bed, with a come hither gaze.

DJ blinked his eyes at the commander's sudden change in heart about the situation. But it was the chance of a lifetime. To sleep with a minotaur in the same bed. He was taking a big chance on trusting this minotaur.

Finally, he undressed again and walked over, joining the Minotaur Commander in bed, whispering, "Be gentle, OK?"

End of Chapter Six.

Comment

Chapter Seven - Arrested!

The next morning brought way to the inevitable.

DJ was seated on his horse with both hands tied behind his back and his horse was tethered to the Minotaur Commander's horse in front of him. He was pleased that the Commander did give him the chance to get himself dressed before he secured his arms behind his back, for riding a horse naked could cause unnecessary sores that even a dragon would be appalled to see.

The Minotaur Commander sat in the saddle of his own stallion, as he spoke to his Lieutenant. "I am taking this human to Lord Spectra. Continue the search for the Legendary Power that is said to be in this area."

"Yes sir!" the Lieutenant replied, as he turned to spur his troops into action.

The Minotaur Commander then glanced back over his shoulder at DJ. "You were good last night, DJ. I apologize for having to repay you in this manner. But the law is the law. You claimed to have a Legendary Power. Because of that, I must turn you over to Lord Spectra."

DJ sighed. "It's okay. You're only obeying the law. You are upholding what you believe is right whether it is or not."

And then the two were on their way.

The Minotaur Commander rode silently. He was mulling over what DJ had said before the ride started. Upholding what you believe is right whether it is or not. Is the human right? Am I that weak that I don't know if the law I am upholding is just or not? But he has a Legendary Power. True, I have not see it in use but the law is very clear on that matter. All who have them must be turned over to Lord Spectra. I actually hate being in this situation. The boy would have made the best squire that I had ever claimed. And he turns out to be an Outlaw. An Outlaw who trusted me. And this is how I repay that trust. What kind of Minotaur am I?

After a while, both horses came to a halt as just ahead was the Lizard Man Commander of Lord Jade, also on horseback. And he had his battle spear drawn.

"A prisoner all trussed up, Raunothyme?" the green scaly Commander inquired loudly. "Perhaps a gift for Lord Spectra, yes? And traveling alone as well. You would only do that if you had a Legendary Power with you. Well, your journey stops here, Raunothyme. I will take your prisoner with me back to Lord Jade, if you don't mind."

"A skulker as always, eh Drizzala?" Minotaur Commander Raunothyme challenged back, as he drew his battle sword. "The boy is mine and I would never hand him over to the likes of you."

Lizard Man Commander Drizzala growled, "So you wish to fight me for passage! If you win, you may both continue! But if I win, the boy is mine and I will spare your life!"

And in the next instant, DJ found his horse untethered as both Commanders charged at one another in combat. And while DJ watched, something in the upper branches above the battle scene caught his eye. It was a Lizard Man Archer with an arrow in the nock of his bow, and he was aiming directly at Raunothyme's back.

DJ irked, as he thought wildly, If I don't do something, Commander Raunothyme is going to be shot in the back! And there is only one thing I can do! I was really hoping I wouldn't have to morph! Here goes nothing!

End of Chapter Seven.

Comment

Chapter Eight - To Save Your Enemy

DJ exclaimed, "Time to summon the Legendary Power!"

Commander Drizzala glanced toward DJ at that moment, as Commander Raunothyme struck Drizzala with all of his might, knocking the Lizard Man off of his horse to the ground!

DJ shouted the name of his Legendary Power! "Warhorse!" There came a sudden flash of light and lightning, totally enveloping his body. When the light faded, he was wearing a uniform that was all red, from the helmet down to the mid torso, and white with black racing stripes down both sides of his legs to his white and red boots. He wore gloves that had the same color pattern as his boots, while his helmet had a shiny black visor with a silver mouthpiece. Within his hand there appeared his Legendary Sword of Power. The sword had the hilt pommel of a warhorse's head and was articulately made, perhaps being of the finest quality ever seen. And the eyes of the horse glowed with a red light all their own, which seemed to make the weapon seem alive. Then, DJ shouted, "Red Ranger Lord!" The image of a red warhorse appeared briefly in the background behind him.

At that moment, DJ, who was no longer tied up, leaped off of his horse and into the canopy of the trees, where Commander Raunothyme heard a quick fight occurring in the upper branches. And then... a bow and arrow fell out of the tree, striking the ground. And this was followed by the Lizard Man Archer, arms and legs flailing, as he too struck the ground with a heavy thud!

And then, DJ, still costumed as the Red Ranger Lord, leaped out of the trees and landed in the saddle of his horse, as he shouted to Commander Raunothyme, "Ride! Let's get out of here!"

Commander Raunothyme exclaimed, "You don't have to tell me twice!"

And with that, they both spurred their horses onward and passed the fallen Lizard Men.

A few hours later, DJ had long since powered down once again, and he was allowing Raunothyme to lead him toward Lord Spectra's castle in the distance.

"Um," Commander Raunothyme started. "You saved my life. You didn't have to do that."

DJ just slowly grinned. "I'm your squire, aren't I? I have to watch your back to make sure it doesn't grow fletchings."

Commander Raunothyme smiled. "I am sure my family would appreciate that. But... you used the Legendary Power to save me. Your enemy. Why?"

DJ shrugged his shoulders. "I can see the good in you, Raunothyme. Besides, a Ranger Lord must always defend the helpless. And while you needed no help against Commander Drizzala, you didn't know about the archer. I had to act or you would have been killed dishonorably. Besides, you were saving me from Lord Jade by fighting Drizzala."

Commander Raunothyme sighed. "Lord Spectra is sure to lock you up when you are unable to hand over the Legendary Power."

DJ hummed. "Where justice is concerned, my friend... you must weigh the law versus your conscience. In the end, you will make the right choice. And heaven help you if you choose wrongly." And having said that, they continued their ride toward Lord Spectra's castle.

End of Chapter Eight.

Comment

Chapter Nine - Dungeon Rescue

Within Lord Spectra's castle, events happened rather quickly. Instead of being questioned, DJ found himself immediately locked up in a special dungeon cell under the castle.

"Okay, that isn't what I was expecting," said DJ. "Raunothyme was certain that Lord Spectra was going to demand the Legendary Power from me. But instead, he ordered Raunothyme to lock me up in this dungeon cell. I wonder what Lord Spectra's game is."

Within the hour, the entire dungeon began to quake and shudder as dust and soot fell off of the walls and ceiling. It felt as if two dragons were having a battle up on the ground floor of the castle. And they weren't playing nicely, either.

Then, during an earth shattering collision from just above the dungeons, the back wall of DJ's cell suddenly collapsed, revealing an old forgotten passageway leading in an odd direction that he knew was southward. And with the next incredible floor shaking thud from above, DJ quickly decided to get the heck out of Dodge, as he ran into the open passageway and kept on running down the corridor beyond.

Near the end of the passageway, DJ suddenly pulled up to a stop very rapidly.

Standing directly in front of him was a male wolfwere who wore light weight magical breastplate armor, carried a sword on his back, and wore a leather cord necklace with a ninja symbol engraved on one side. His eyes were glowing yellow and his fur seemed dark. "So you're the one."

DJ struck a defensive pose. "What of it? Are you going to let me pass or do I have to call upon the power?"

The wolfwere ninja smiled a little, showing his sharp teeth. "Raunothyme told me to help a human escape from the dungeons during the battle. You are the only human I have seen, so you must be the one. I am Shuriken of the Flame Ninja Clan. Come, I have horses for the both of us. Then we ride for Briarwood. I pray that we get there before nightfall or our lives are forfeit. Or, you can choose to try to get past the other guards without my help. The choice is yours."

DJ smiled himself. "Captain Raunothyme came through. He really does have honor. I sure hope he will be okay. Alright, Shuriken. Let's get out of here. You can call me DJ."

And the two took off together as they climbed up what appeared to be a well that was located inside of the courtyard stables. From there, they leaped into the saddles of their horses and were soon bursting out of the gates of the stables and across the drawbridge and away from the castle. DJ was tempted to look back at what was happening in the castle, but his father had always warned him of looking behind him.

After a good hard ride, Shuriken and DJ soon arrived at an inn and tavern just north of the Briarwood Kingdom. The sign over the tavern said Barns Inn.

Shuriken said, "Remember, DJ... King Fire Heart rules over the Briarwood Kingdom. He tries to remain neutral, but that does not mean that he is good. Come, we will make room for sleeping in the rear barn's hayloft. I will work an anti-evil spell for keeping Spellgate away from the barn itself."

DJ nodded his head, as he went with Shuriken into the barn and proceeded up into the hayloft where he could prepare to get comfortable for a well deserved night's rest.

End of Chapter Nine.

Comment

Chapter Ten - Sifting Your Own

When the morning came, DJ awoke to find Shuriken finishing a bodily search of his body. "What are you doing?"

Shuriken jumped at not only being caught, but the sudden verbal statement. "I, uh, er..."

DJ sat up and began pulling his clothes back on. "If you're looking for the Legendary Power, you can forget it. I was informed that once it was activated, it merges with it's host. I couldn't hand it over now even if I wanted to."

Shuriken quickly shook his head. "No, its not that, I mean... well... I've never seen a naked human up close before... and, I er... was curious..."

DJ continued to get dressed. "You lie horribly, Shuriken. Wolfweres have stripped many a human before and a naked human has surely been seen before. You were hoping to find the Legendary Power for some sort of reward. Raunothyme put you up to this, didn't he?" He glanced toward the wolfwere sharply when he said that.

Shuriken sighed. "Yes. He told me to get you out of Spectra's kingdom, then search you in ways that only I could and take the Legendary Power away from you. But because you said that this power merged with you, I have no choice but to travel with you now until you pass the power, so to speak."

DJ slyly grinned as he actually could not imagine anyone sifting through human excrement just to find a Legendary Power. But he had already seen how fiercely those involved were willing to fight to get their claws on the power. He simply shook his head and grabbed his traveling cloak. "Let's get going, Shuriken. I was told that a Legendary Power had been discovered here in Briarwood recently. I need to find the person who now has the power. They may be in worse trouble than I and will need assistance to get out of town and past all of the soldiers."

Shuriken nodded and headed down to their horses. "You don't think you will pass the power, do you?"

DJ grinned at Shuriken. "I hope not. Not even I physically handle my own shit regardless of what treasures may lay buried within its steaming morass. Let us not think about that anymore. Please." And he mounted up on his horse and turned the horse toward the exit. "You don't sift your own, do you?"

Shuriken made a "bleh" expression, his tongue stuck out, then he mounted his own horse and trotted over to stand beside DJ. "Even if I did, I wouldn't tell you. Now let us go find this other human with the power."

Soon the two were riding down one of the roads. Shuriken said to DJ, "If we encounter any non-humans, the story is that I own you. That will throw off any suspicions non-humans may have about a human riding with a wolfwere."

DJ nodded his head from within the hooded cloak. "Makes sense to me. But just how are we going to find this other outlaw?"

Shuriken grinned. "There are ways of detection, yes. But first, I think we better find a more permanent base of operations. For me, at least. I don't like to travel that much, unless I am out hunting for game."

DJ hummed. "How about Lonefall? From what I remember about the myths of the place... no non-human will go near the place."

Shuriken shuddered. "For good reasons, too. Lonefall is supposed to be haunted by the ghost of an ancient fighter. I haven't seen such myself, but any port in a storm, as they say... can't be all bad."

End of Chapter Ten.

Comment

Chapter Eleven - Lonefall

"What's really up with Lonefall?" asked DJ, not long after he and Shuriken rode through the outer entryway. "I am no scholar, but those signs at the entry clearly said that humans were not allowed in here."

Shuriken grinned, then sighed. "Part of Lonefall belongs to my ex-clan. They exiled me when I chose not to kill humans. I tend to work with humans when I can, but my actions, according to my ex-clan leader, brought shame upon the Fire Ninja Clan. I was exiled until such a time that I would learn the error of my ways. I sometimes dwell in the outer areas of Lonefall still, but... the area we are going to is haunted by the ghost of a mighty samurai warrior. And yes, the ghost appears to be that of a human. We aren't sure how he came to be here, but it does it's job and does it well."

"How could you earn your way back into your ex-clan leader's good graces?"

"There are two ways, actually. One is to kill a human. I am sure that doesn't appeal fun to you. The other way would be for me to bring him a human who is a fire element who could possibly pass the tests of fire. Passing those tests would prove my original point to my ex-clan leader and he would forgive me for the path that I had chosen. To date, however, any human who has attempted these tests have died horribly within the third test."

DJ nodded his head. "That doesn't sound like fun at all. Will we see any of your ex-clan member friends while we're in here?"

"As a matter of fact..."

But before he could finish, a Fire Ninja Wolfwere patrol did indeed encounter the two of them and their weapons were immediately at the ready as a shout erupted, "ATTACK THE INFIDELS!"

DJ exclaimed, "Time to summon the Legendary Power!"

Shuriken threw his throwing stars then leaped off of his horse and had his Katana at the ready within his grasp.

DJ landed on the ground next to him with his sword at the ready as well. "You do know that we are horribly outnumbered, don't you?"

"Sure, but where is your spirit of adventure?" replied Shuriken with a serious grin on his muzzle. "As they say... you only live once. And I have you at my side. We may take a few down before they kill us, but... that's how heroes live."

DJ exclaimed, "I never wanted to be a hero!"

Shuriken grinned again. "Do you think I did? Now let's just fight these guys!"

End of Chapter Eleven.

Comment

Chapter Twelve - Enter the Wolf

Nearby, DJ's shout had not gone unnoticed, as a young man who had been searching for spell components suddenly lifted his head and peered over the embankment nearby to see what was going down. He saw, of course, a human and a wolfwere fighting against the other wolfweres in the area.

"That is Shuriken. But who is he with? He is dressed the way I do when I am in battle. Perhaps I should lend them my assistance. They are going to need it."

The young man then shouted, "Time to summon the Legendary Power!"

The young man shouted the name of his Legendary Power! "Battlewolf!" There came a sudden flash of light and lightning, totally enveloping his body. When the light faded, he was wearing a uniform that was all orange, from the helmet down to the mid torso, and white with black racing stripes down both sides of his legs to his white and orange boots. He wore gloves that had the same color pattern as his boots, while his helmet had a shiny black visor with a silver mouthpiece. Within his hand there appeared his Legendary Sword of Power. The sword had the hilt pommel of a battlewolf's head and was articulately made, perhaps being of the finest quality ever seen. And the eyes of the wolf glowed with an orange light all their own, which seemed to make the weapon seem alive. Then, the young man shouted, "Orange Ranger Lord!" The image of an orange battlewolf appeared briefly in the background behind him.

DJ and Shuriken were holding their own when suddenly there came the howl of a alpha wolf of battle that echoed all over the battle ground. That is when the Orange Ranger Lord landed in their midst and began attacking the other wolfweres that had been trying to sneak up behind the two would-be heroes.

"I've got your backside, friends!" he exclaimed. "Let's try to wrap up this mess before any more of them are summoned!"

DJ exclaimed, "You got it! And I've been looking for you, too! We'll talk after the battle!"

DJ reared back with his fist and shouted, "IMMOVABLE FORCE!" as he punched a wolfwere in the chest with more force than has ever been seen in any Power Rangers team, past, present, or future... and the wolfwere was literally lifted off of his feet in a backwards flying motion, as he smashed through several trees in the background and landed in the waste dump of the clan, up to his clavicle, a good quarter of a mile away!

The Orange Ranger Lord exclaimed, "That wasn't bad, Red Ranger Lord! Now watch my special attack!"

He shouted, "WOLF PACK!" and instantly, a large pack of energy wolves appeared all around him and they leaped on and attacked the wolfweres in the immediate battlefield!

DJ exclaimed, "It's like you summoned an army for our side! That's an awesome power!"

The Orange Ranger Lord grinned. "Isn't it, though? Now let's wrap this up! I think these canids are on the run now!"

Shuriken grinned. He could tell that these Ranger Lords were the start of something really enjoyable. And he was looking forward toward helping them further in the future.

The three continued to fight until the remaining wolfweres chose the better part of valor and run away like the cowards that they were. All in all, however, it had been a fairly good fight.

End of Chapter Twelve.
                        End of Episode One: The Legendary Power

Stay tuned for Episode Two: The Pirate Princess

Comment

Working...
                        X